Clean Slate — A Playlist for New Years + Fresh Starts

4:40 PM


I suppose it's sort of symbolic that my last blog post of 2015 and my first of 2016 are both playlists.

Or maybe I just really like making mixes lately.


I don't think I've ever really been that invested in the idea of resolutions for a new year. I'm someone who is kind of making and adjusting resolutions all the time, anyway; for as long as I can remember, I've been that person who sporadically made lists that included things like "drink more water" and "exercise more," always on the path to self-betterment.

Now, whether I always followed through is a whole 'nother story...

But, I do kind of love the idea of a fresh start of sorts, and even though that whole "new year, new you," is so trite, this year, I sort of feel it. A changing of tides. Something about 2016 feels infinitely more promising and hopeful than the past few New Year benchmarks have. Maybe that just has more to do with where I'm at in life, currently.

The point is, I'm genuinely excited about things for the first time in a while, and for me, that means making HAPPY SONG MIXES.


CLEAN SLATE — a mix for a new year + fresh starts; cheers to twenty sixteen;

i. weightless : all time low // ii. dog days are over : florence + the machine // iii. breakaway : kelly clarkson // iv. spotlight : patrick stump // v. brand new day : demi lovato // vi. why not? : hilary duff // vii. confetti : tori kelly // viii. revolution : diplo (district 78 remix) // ix. shake it out : florence + the machine // x. be here now : ray lamontagne // xi. come clean : hilary duff // xii. shake it off : taylor swift // xiii. love myself : hailee steinfeld // xiv. confident : demi lovato // xv. centuries : fall out boy // xvi. what dreams are made of : hilary duff

After I compiled this, I kind of realized I apparentlyand unknowinglyhave a general theme for myself going into this year: empowerment, self-care, confidence, and dreams. Seems appropriate.

Also, listen.... I know there's, like, an excess of Hilary Duff in here. I'm not even sorry about it.

May twenty sixteen treat us all wonderfully. ♫

♡ Alyssa


You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. what a beautiful new year's post! I LOVE your playlist as I'm an obsessive ATL fan and like quite a few of the other artists. i hope you have a fab 2016 xx
    esmemadeline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!!! i hope you have a wonderful 2016 as well!! ♡

      Delete
  2. I used to love Hilary Duff - come clean!!


    Lauren x | www.laurenapowers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO GOOD. It was my childhood anthem, and it's stood the test of time. ;p

      Delete
  3. i can see the empowerment in this playlist just by the titles! i'll give this a listen next time i'm feeling kinda poo-y. and i make random little improvement lists like that, too! i write things on sticky notes and put them everywhere as pushy reminders haha

    http://hellokuo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah YAY. and i'm so glad to see someone else who does that too!! it's the only way i can manage to change my habits, most of the time. whatever works, right? :)

      Delete
  4. These are awesome songs! I didn't want to overdo it this year, so I only have two resolutions: write my two novels and find an exercise I enjoy!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely probably better to not overdo it; i think you're more likely to stick to things that way. those are great resolutions!! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh man! I really miss listening to Hilary Duff. I won't even lie, she's one of my guilty pleasures lol. I was even listening to her about a year or two ago, she was on my main playlist! I grew up watching her in Lizzie McGuire, I recently watched one of her movies and realized how bad the acting is haha! Thanks for reintroducing me to her :)

    becky ♡ star violet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, she's really coming back into the music scene lately and her stuff is so fun and poppy! I love it. I haven't actually watched Lizzie McGuire in forever though. I kind of want to now.

      Delete
  6. Omg Hilary Duff was everything to me back then. Love the songs on your playlist! http://thewallflowersecrets.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a unique idea for welcoming in 2016! There's definitely something magical about having a clean slate and a whole new year ahead! I completely love that you included Florence and The Machine and Hilary Duff! Loving your blog :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (doing follow for follow on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely agree. And I'm glad you like! :)

      Delete

thank you so much for commenting!!! i appreciate it very much ❤