Gentle Reminders

9:44 PM

We live in such a busy, distracted world.



Very often, humans can get so caught up in themselves that they can end up having a hard time seeing outside of that. Not to mention, so many strange social norms are just ingrained in our culture now, that we don't even give most of them a second thought. I think we can all use a moment now and then to step back and look at things with a bigger scope.

One of my favorite things to do is learn from other people's actions; their actions towards others, their actions concerning themselves, their actions towards me. I observe everything, and try to mold myself according to what traits I admire and what traits I dislike. I think that being aware of and observing other people's behavior—and your own—is one of the most important things you can do.

I'm always learning and reminding myself of new things, and these are a few that seem to come to mind pretty often.


I. There are many different walks of life; remember that, and be tolerant of it.

II. Take the time to really know people. Remember things about them, and always be kind. It matters.

III. Remember that people are different. People show love and affection differently, people grieve differently, people handle things differently. Don't hold that against someone.

IV. Things that shouldn't be considered “small talk” with people you don’t really know: “What are you doing with your life?”; school; employment; money; religion; politics. Just, don’t. It's called small talk for a reason.

V. You are responsible for making yourself be the kind of person you want to be and creating the feelings you want to have. Don’t lay that responsibility on other people.

What are some of your little reminders; things you've learned or like to keep in mind? Share them with me in the comments!







You Might Also Like

32 comments

  1. I exactly agree with you about the points you pointed out. Thanks for these little reminders. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree! Thanks for commenting! x

      Delete
  2. The best piece of advise I've ever been given is this: there are 2 types of people in your life - drains and radiators. Make sure you spend time with the radiators and not the drains!
    Thanks for a lovely post
    Betty x
    The Betty Stamp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a great piece of advice. Thank you for sharing it with me. ❤

      Delete
  3. My first time here in your blog. I guess we have the same theme. :)

    http://www.pixiechronicle.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, you've got good taste. ;) Thanks for stoppin' by!!

      Delete
  4. This is just beautiful. And it is, indeed, something that people should be reminded about. Have a wonderful day, Alyssa! :)

    www.jhanzey.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so! You have a wonderful day, too!! :)

      Delete
  5. Great post.. love your thoughts! <3 <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it!! Thank you for commenting. ❤

      Delete
  6. What a lovely post! I love all your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wise words. I really enjoyed reading them. Thanks for sharing :)

    Enclothed Cognition
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great posts! Couldn't have said it better myself ❤
    munchies&musings

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

    http://sunovereden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the best advice. You know it's solid advice when it's in a Disney movie. ;P

      Delete
    2. Bambi! Thumper says, "if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all." :)

      Delete
  10. These are some great points and I'm guilty of forgetting a few of them from time to time.

    My addition to the list - never settle

    It's so easy to fall into a routine and go through life without much passion or excitement...but it doesn't have to be that way!

    Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we all are; part of the whole being human thing, I reckon. ;P That's definitely such a good tip, too! So many people settle because it's what "expected" by society or family or whatever, instead of going after what they're passionate about. Thanks for the thoughts! ❤

      Delete
  11. i tell myself that you couldn't please everyone. it's by accepting that fact that i've learned to be myself and embrace my insecurities/flaws as unique parts of me.

    have a great week!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so important!!! I am constantly reminding myself that I shouldn't worry about the opinions of others. I'm so glad for you that you've accepted it and embraced those things. ❤

      Delete
  12. Really lovely post. I enjoy coming across these different ones.

    Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post so much. So true people show their affections in a different ways than ours & yes we're the one's responsible of our life.

    Mafer x

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for commenting!!! i appreciate it very much ❤